Monday, October 18, 2010

Fall Fiber Festival & Sheep Dog Trials, Montpelier - Review

This was the 23rd Annual Show and my second time attending & vending at this event.  It is at the estate of James Madison's Montpelier in Orange Co. VA.  The link is:  www.fallfiberfestival.org

I was so worried about going to this show the whole week before I left.  There was a huge storm sweeping up the East coast dumping record amounts of rain.  In nearby Baltimore MD they got 8 inches in 24 hours.  I had herd that it was much worse further South.  There was a lot of gossip about years past being rain soaked at this show too.  The festival grounds are located on a beautiful pasture on the estate; there is a field for the many many tents and an adjoining one for the sheep dog trials.  However, Mother Nature saved us at the last moment.  The sun came out, it was breezy, the weather for the show was dry and gorgeous.  It just felt like fall.

Lots and lots of people attended.  I had wonderful sales and saw many customers that came to find me from the previous year.  For the last two years I have been in the first tent.  They are huge 3 pole circus like tents.  This year was even better because last year the tops of the tents were striped with yellow, so everything inside had kind of a yellow tinge.  This year all the tents were white.  Everything looked beautiful!!

It is also so much fun going over to get a glimpse of the sheep dog trials.  Many of my customers are walking about with sheep dog paraphernalia - leashes, little seats to see the show, shepherd walking sticks.  Very neat. There are also several fiber animal displays that include sheep, llamas, and goats.

New single-ply skeins featuring my goat Smokey

I brought a basket full of my hand-spun!
It was truly a success and I can't wait to go again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment